Monday, January 11, 2016

InnoMedia Fax Configuration - enabling T.38

At this point you've probably come to the conclusion that trying to fax over your VOIP network isn't going to work reliably and that you need to set up Fax over IP.  If your network has an InnoMedia MTA, enabling the T.38 fax relay is relatively easy.

The InnoMedia box has a static IP of 192.168.99.1 that you can connect to with a web browser or telnet, but to do the changes necessary you will have to telnet in.  Set up a static IP on your laptop (192.168.99.100, 255.255.255.0 worked for me) and plug into the LAN port on the back of the InnoMedia box with a normal ethernet cable.  I used Terminal on my Mac so if you use Putty there may be settings that I'm not aware of that need to be changed.

telnet 192.168.99.1
default username: Admin
default password: password
type "D1" to enable debugging
type "Th" to change fax settings
default password here is: InnoMedia
type "21" (this number may be different, but it is whatever 'T.38 fax settings' is under)
1 to enable/disable
do you want to configure all channels? (I put in "N" because I knew which channel the fax was on)
input channel number (in my case "1")
"y" to confirm
type "w" to save configuration
type "If" to check if enabled
type "D0" (that's a zero) to disable debugging
type "E" to escape

That should do it!

The InnoMedia boxes are probably something that your service provider is supposed to configure, but I've had no luck even getting a call back from our provider when asking about FOIP.  Apparently they don't believe it's an issue or they don't want to mess with it or they don't have a clue what I'm talking about.  Whatever the case, this made a drastic difference in reliability and hopefully may save you some headaches.  Now if I can just figure out how to do this on an Adtran Total Access 900 series...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The article posted was very informative and useful. You people are doing a great job. Keep going. how send fax from pc email